Soda bicarbonate or Sodium hydrogen carbonate is commonly known as baking soda is a chemical compound. The chemical compound consists of sodium and bicarbonate. It is a white solid mostly found in crystalline structure and has a slight salt and alkaline in taste — sodium hydrogen bicarbonate mainly used for baking and cooking purpose as a leavening agent. The soda bicarbonate reacts with any form of acid to release carbon dioxide allowing the batter to rise for a nice fluffy cake. Soda bicarbonate came into existence during the first half of the 19th century. It may sound a bit unbelievable, but December 30th is celebrated all around as Baking Soda Day. Sodium bicarbonate is readily available in the market and can easily found in our daily essentials like toothpaste.
- Soda bicarbonate is cheap and readily available in the market. We know that baking soda used for cooking and baking, but there are other uses of soda as well. Soda is great for cleaning surfaces and many household jobs. This soda powder is used for rising the cake and cookies
- Soda bicarbonate tenderizes meat. It is a great leavening agent in bread and cookies and also great to soften meat. The Chinese use this technique to marinate meat; they add water and Soda bicarbonate to the meat to break fat in the meat.
- Cleaning silver utensils and ornaments can be difficult. People generally spend much money to clean these items. Soda bicarbonate is cheap and readily available in the market, and most importantly, non-toxic cleaner that is great for cleaning silverware. Just add some baking soda to boiling water and later insert the utensils in this warm water, your shiny silverware is ready.
- Soda bicarbonate is excellent to remove splinter that is deep in the skin. Just apply soda bicarbonate and water to the surface and cover it with an adhesive bandage; this will soften the skin and remove the splinter.
- Baking soda can remove plague and stains present on our teeth, making then white again.
- We can apply a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and water to remove bad odor from our armpits.
Baking And Baking Soda
Whenever it comes to cooking there is always confusion. That is baking soda and baking powder the same or different. It’s just that baking powder is a combination of baking soda, acid, and inert stabilizer mostly cornflour. Baking powder is one of the essential things while baking any things. It gives a lift to the cake, making them airy and fluffy. When water added to a tablespoon of baking powder, it releases carbon dioxide, which helps the cake to rise and makes them fluffy.
The baking powder, when added in the right quantity, makes the cake tender and fluffy, but too much of it can make it bitter. Adding too much soda bicarbonate can make the food taste soapy and opens the crumb. The reddish-brown color of the cake comes from the soda bicarbonate. So it’s very important to add soda bicarbonate in the right quantity as too much of everything is terrible.